Tuesday, February 28, 2012

EXPERIENCE OF A LIFE TIME

January 8, 2012
     Though I have had a cold the work in the Mission field will not stop! Especially when we get a referral from a recent convert to teach her cousin Ricky (name changed) who is only here for a month, and now he is getting baptized next Sunday! We went in to teach Ricky, he is an awesome kid and is joining the army.  He went to church  last week  just to please his cousin, we taught him later that day.  Then we came back to 2 days later,  we sat down with him and the families home we were meeting in.  After prayer we ask Ricky "hows your reading and praying going?"  He stops us and starts acting nervous and just says to everyone, "I need to talk to the missionaries alone".  My first thought is that we are getting dropped again!  But Ricky told us that he felt so good about what is was learning!
As Sunday came around again Ricky shared the experience to the day with us he said, "  I got up today so excited to go to church but on the way to church I got the worst pain in my side, there was something telling me to not go in!  But I fought through the pain.  There was something in Sacrament meeting telling me to get up and get out of there, leave you don't want to be there...but I stayed there and again pushed through it, and at the end of Sacrament, I felt so great!!!!  I and Elder Pyne had the opportunity of teaching him how the spirit feels. (Galatians) and then we taught him the Plan of Salvation, and showed him the importance of Christ's example on being baptized and the major importance of Christ's atonement and ask him if he'd follow Christ's example?...."Absolutely!"  Was his reply.  We told him that we had prayed about a date for him...and that the15th of January we would be hold a baptismal service for him.  "Guys that would be perfect!"  We asked Ricky to give the closing prayer, I think that it was one of the best prayers I have ever heard....mainly for the fact that in his prayer he said that, "I know Heavenly Father that you sent Elder Anderson and Elder Pyne to me for this purpose, to introduce the Book of Mormon to me...and I know the the 15th...I know that I will be ready for that day."
     In our experience with teaching Ricky it is one that I will never forget!  Let's just say that Ricky went through a literal hell to come to Christ.  And it is because of this experience that my testimony now is unshakable.  I know without a doubt that through the priesthood all things are possible.  Through the atonement of Jesus Christ, we all can be forgiven and lifted up. I have never felt the spirit more strongly in my life. It is an amazing feeling...It will be a sad day when I am no longer missionary, and that day grows closer and closer everyday. I have never understood why people were sad to go home...but I have come to know why over the past few weeks.  This great calling we have as missionaries is only for a short time.  We only have a short time to bring families together for time and all eternity.  What a blessing it truly is.  It took me 20 years to realize the importance of the Book of  Mormon and to truly see the happiness it can bring.  I know without a doubt that this Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is the only true church on the face of this earth.  I hope that I will be able to help my brothers and sisters here in Virginia know that, and hopefully when I go home I will continue to share the gospel with others.  I will be an example!
    I got a letter from one of the the stake high councilmen here and in it he talked about the lyrics to a song."teach me all that I must" KNOW" being changed to,"teach me all that I must, "DO", he went on to talk about how the song should probably be changed again to," teach me all that I must "BE"  in which the quote from Aristotle applies..."We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence is not an act, but a habit."
Love you all,
Forever your son, Dakota Thomas Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment